Friday, April 10, 2020

Good Friday –– Amazing Love!

Good Friday –– Amazing Love!
April 10, 2020

With arms spread wide on the cross, Jesus shows us an incredible contrast….

The suffering and death is a picture of what sin––turning away from God––means. The cross shows what sin is in the eyes of God’s holiness and justice. Jesus on the cross is us, because all of us are guilty of choosing our own way instead of God’s perfect love.

And yet that is exactly the paradox and contrast of the cross. The cross shows us God’s love. Instead of allowing the repercussion of sin to fall on us, God chose to take it upon himself. Jesus suffered and died for me…. and for you…. and for the injustices of the whole world.

God himself….. taking my place…. loving me so much that he took the ridicule, the shame, the pain, and death itself so I can freely enter into His incredible love.

One hymn writer asks, What Wondrous Love Is This?

While it’s beyond our comprehension, it is right for us to reflect so that we can immerse ourselves in God’s love as much as possible.

Perhaps my favorite hymn writer is Charles Wesley. In one of his masterpieces he has penned these words:

’Tis mystery all! The immortal dies!
Who can explore his strange design?
In vain the firstborn seraph tries to sound the depths of love divine;
’Tis mercy all! let earth adore;
Let angel minds inquire no more.

Amazing love! How can it be
That thou, my God, shouldst die for me?!

Amazing love! How can it be

That thou, my God, shouldst die for me?!


No comments:

 
Site Meter