Monday, April 20, 2009

Blogging and Faith Matters

I started my blog early last year, following my appearance on EWTN's The Journey Home, to have some visibility on the internet. I would like to have an actual web site, but in spite of using my computer for basic functions, I am horribly techno-illiterate (which is why my blog does not have impressive pictures nor list links to other interesting posts). I read a few other wonderful blogs regularly and I'm quite intimidated by the many things one can do. Oh well....

My motivation for blogging was to give some measure of exposure to my Heart for God apostolate (ministry). A few people who know and support what I'm trying to do expressed interest in hearing from me regularly, so my blog is one way I try to make that happen.

While the context for starting Heart for God was my resignation from the Evangelical pastorate and entering the Catholic Church (and yet desiring to have a continued outlet for ministry), I do not intend the focus of my blogging to be, necessarily, Catholicism. I do not understand my calling to be Catholic apologetics (although whatever I do now is in the overall context of having become Catholic, and so sometimes a "Catholic perspective" comes through). Overall, though, I sincerely desire that the pervasive tone of my blog entries will be one that encourages a passion for knowing and following Jesus Christ.

There was a response to my Easter worship entry that seemed to assume I was implying a level of right/wrong I did not intend. Of course I was writing out of a context that believes what Catholics do in worship is "right" (why else would I have become Catholic?). That is not to say, though, that I intended my observations to be primarily polemical.

For each person, worship is a fusion of the objective and the subjective. Surely we each give ourselves in worship within the tradition that, in conscience, we believe to be (the most) correct. Yet it is in that act of acting within conscience that worship on the personal level goes from the outward form (objective expression) to the inward motivation (subjective motivation).

Our Lord receives the Easter praises of His people whether those praises are expressed in historic liturgy or not (and some who offer "praise" through historic liturgy, but without sincere hearts, should worry about what the Lord thinks of that!). This is only to say that Christian worship has both an objective and subjective component for every person, and we would each do well to give attention to both.

And one way to give attention to both is to keep seeking the Lord with all our hearts. None of us will understand (or worship) perfectly until faith is made sight and all is fulfilled in perfect love. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully.... So, faith,hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Come, Lord Jesus, and make your people one.

No comments:

 
Site Meter