Sunday, March 24, 2013

Crucify Him!


March 24, 2013 –– Palm Sunday of the Lord’s Passion
Isaiah 50:4–7 / Philippians 2:6–11 / Luke 22:14–23:56
Crucify Him!


The words shock us –– at least they should –– grating into our ears like fingernails on a chalk board: Crucify Him!

We think, No! Don’t do that to Jesus....

But too often we do not think.... or we think something else:

“I know it’s wrong, but God will forgive me.” ....Crucify Him!

“Well, I know it’s not really right, but everyone does it.” ....Crucify Him!

“I’m going to give that person a piece of my mind.”  ....Crucify Him!

“I don’t care what the Church says, that’s stupid.”  ....Crucify Him!

“I’m going to do what I want to do.”  ....Crucify Him!

Yet even as He hung on the cross giving His life for our sins, our Lord gives the Good News of the Gospel: Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.

Let’s open ourselves to our true need for forgiveness. Let’s be honest about the things in us that cry out, Crucify Him!  And let’s learn to turn from our sins.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

This has been by far my most favorite of all your homilies! After Mass, I even was inspired from it to write my own blog post. Thank you for the conviction!


Rebecca

 
Site Meter