Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tolerance

In the spirit of my previous post, I was reminded of a quote I wrote in my journal over twenty years ago. Even then I was disturbed about an exaltation of tolerance that was so quickly being crowned the Queen of Virtues. When I read the following I recognized a wisdom that seems to be hidden from popular consciousness:


In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair.... the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die. (Dorothy Sayers)

God save us from "tolerance" and give us the grace to have a passion to live (and die) for what is True.

No comments:

 
Site Meter