Wednesday, June 9, 2010

St Ephrem

Today is the memorial of St Ephrem, deacon and doctor of the Church. St Ephrem is known, among other things, for the beautiful prayer attributed to him that is used during the Lenten Fast:


O Lord and Master of my life, give me not a spirit of sloth, vain curiosity, lust for power, and idle talk, but give to me Thy servant a spirit of soberness, humility, patience and love. O Lord and King, grant me to see my own faults and not to condemn my brother: for blessed art Thou to the ages of ages. Amen. O God, cleanse me a sinner.


I came into the Catholic Church on St Ephrem's day and took his name as a patron. I was attracted to his stature and influence as a deacon, and I nourished the hope that I too might follow him in that office.

Now I find myself a formal deacon candidate and, pending the appointment of a new bishop for our diocese, await word for the final steps of the process. It is my prayer that I would have the fervor for truth and proclamation that marked Ephrem's life. I know that such a thing comes from a deep and growing commitment to Jesus, and I give myself to our Lord every day to that end.

No comments:

 
Site Meter