Friday, August 6, 2010

Feast of the Transfiguration

This is the date the Church celebrates the Feast of the Transfiguration. I love this feast day. I love to reflect on the Transfiguration of our Lord. In my Evangelical days I was unaware (until I was well along on my Catholic journey) that there was even such a thing. Oh, I knew the gospel story.... but a "feast day"? The stereotypical view would have been: "more dead formalism..." But, ah, now I find myself drawn into the event, and that is the very reason it happened.


The following was the introduction for today in the Magnificat prayer guide:

Christ's Tabor radiance is a kind of mirror in which we glimpse the glory that God wills to give his friends. The resplendence of the Transfiguration reveals the fullness of life destined to be ours. The Transfiguration invites us to configuration. As we peer into the glory that pours out from every pore of the transfigured Christ, we cast off everything unworthy of our personal relationship with the Infinite, and we take on the luster of the Son of God. Jesus gazes back at us with a luminous look of love that makes us desire to live his transparent beauty – to be luminaries. Silently from Tabor's splendor, the Savior begs: "Become what you behold!"

Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments:

 
Site Meter